Facebook, swamped with misinformation, extends post-election U.S. political ad ban

The ban, one of Facebook’s measures to combat misinformation and other abuses on its site, was supposed to last about a week but could be extended.

(Subscribe to our Today’s Cache newsletter for a quick snapshot of top 5 tech stories. Click here to subscribe for free.)

Facebook Inc on Wednesday said its post-election ban on political ads would likely last another month, raising concerns from campaigns and groups eager to reach voters for key Georgia races in January that will decide control of the Senate.

The ban, one of Facebook’s measures to combat misinformation and other abuses on its site, was supposed to last about a week but could be extended. Alphabet Inc’s Google also appeared to be sticking with its post-election political ad ban.

“While multiple sources have projected a presidential winner, we still believe it’s important to help prevent confusion or abuse on our platform,” Facebook told advertisers in an email seen by Reuters. It said to expect the pause to last another month though there “may be an opportunity to resume these ads sooner.”

Facebook later confirmed the extension in a blog post.

Also read | Text messages become new source of disinformation in U.S. Presidential Election

Baseless claims about the election reverberated around social media this week as President Donald Trump challenged the validity of the outcome, even as state officials reported no significant irregularities and legal experts cautioned he had little chance to overturn Democratic President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

In one Facebook group created on Sunday, which rapidly grew to nearly 400,000 members by Wednesday, members calling for a nationwide recount swapped unfounded accusations about alleged election fraud and state vote counts every few seconds.

“The reality is right now that we are not through the danger zone,” said Vanita Gupta, chief executive of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.

Google declined to answer questions about the length of its ad pause, although one advertiser said the company had floated the possibility of extending it through or after December. A Google spokeswoman previously said the company would lift its ban based on factors such as the time needed for votes to be counted and whether there was civil unrest.

The extensions mean the top two digital advertising behemoths, which together control more than half the market, are not accepting election ads ahead of two hotly contested U.S. Senate runoff races in Georgia, including ads aimed at increasing voter turnout.

Democratic and Republican digital strategists railed against those decisions, saying the bans were overly broad and failed to combat a much bigger problem on the platforms: the organic spread of viral lies in unpaid posts.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, along with the Senate campaigns of Georgia Democrats Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, called for an exemption for the Georgia races so they could make voters aware of upcoming deadlines.

Also read | Trump will lose special Twitter protections in January

“It is driving us absolutely bonkers,” said Mark Jablonowski, managing partner of DSPolitical, a digital firm that works with Democratic causes.

Eric Wilson, a Republican digital strategist, said he thought the companies’ concerns about ads on the election outcome did not require a blanket ban. “This is something that deserves a scalpel and they’re using a rusty ax,” he said.

Facebook Director of Product Management Rob Leathern acknowledged the frustration in a series of tweets, but said the world’s biggest social network lacked “the technical ability in the short term to enable political ads by state or by advertiser.”

Viral Lies

The companies declined to say when they would lift other ”break-glass” election measures introduced for unpaid posts, like Facebook’s demotions of content that its systems predict may be misinformation.

Facebook spokesman Andy Stone said those emergency measures would not be permanent, but that rollback was “not imminent.”

Google’s YouTube, which is labeling all election-related videos with information about the outcome, said it would stick with that approach “as long as it’s necessary.”

The video-sharing company bans “demonstrably false” claims about the election process, but has used the tool sparingly, saying hyperbolic statements about a political party “stealing” the election does not violate the policy.

However, Twitter Inc has stopped using its most restrictive election-related warning labels, which hid and limited engagement on violating tweets. Instead, the company is now using lighter-touch labels that “provide additional context,” spokeswoman Katie Rosborough said.

Also read | Apple asks app developers to disclose user data on apps

Twitter placed a label reading “this claim about election fraud is disputed” on two of Trump’s tweets Tuesday morning, but each was retweeted more than 80,000 times by that evening.

Nina Jankowicz, a disinformation fellow at the Wilson Center, said the ad pauses were needed but not sufficient for curbing the spread of viral lies.

“Clearly President Trump does not think the election is over, so I don’t think the platforms should treat it as if it is,” she said.

Disclaimer: This post has not been edited by our staff and is published from a syndicated feed. The Original Source of this post can be found at Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

Compare your bank FD rates

Bank fixed deposits (FDs) continue to...

Massive fire breaks out at car showroom in Punjab’s Bathinda

At least 40 vehicles were gutted in a fire at a two-storey car showroom in Punjab's Bathinda district on Thursday, police said.No loss...

Volunteers and health workers are the ones people rely on

More than a year since they started tending to COVID-19 patients, healthcare workers have remained the support that the families could not offer to...

Coronavirus | Health Minister’s claim will be exposed tomorrow: Chidambaram

Senior Congress leader P. Chidambaram said on Thursday that Health Minister Harsh Vardhan’s assertion of “enough vaccines” will stand exposed on May 1, when...

IPL 2021, KKR vs DC | ‘Shawstopper’ Prithvi scorches Knight Riders...

Opener smashes 82 off 41 balls, including six successive fours in chase’s first over, to power Capitals to seven-wicket win with 3.3 overs to...

More Articles