Hurst supports ban on children heading ball

- Advertisement -

England’s 1966 World Cup hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst says children should be banned from heading the ball due to so many of his generation suffering from dementia.

Several of Hurst’s 1966 team-mates have been diagnosed with dementia, the most recent Bobby Charlton. Another sufferer, Nobby Stiles, died last month.

Charlton’s brother Jack, Ray Wilson and Martin Peters — the other England goalscorer in the 4-2 win over the then West Germany in the final — were also diagnosed with it and have died in the last three years.

Hurst is one of only four members of the side still alive — Bobby Charlton, George Cohen and Roger Hunt being the others.

Research has shown ex-footballers are three-and-a-half times more likely to die of dementia than the general population.

“There seems to be a particular group of people who were suffering,” Hurst told the Daily Mirror on Wednesday.

“I go back to my practice days at West Ham, we had a ball hanging from the ceiling, we would head it for 20 minutes.

“Then we’d play head tennis in the gym and, in the practice on the field, we’d be practising near-post, far-post headers, and you could head 20 or 30 balls in the space of half an hour.”

The 78-year-old West Ham great said banning children from heading the ball would be a good thing as their brains are not yet fully developed.

“It would be a very strong and sensible suggestion,” he said.

“I think stopping at that young age, when the brain has not matured, must be looked at.

“I don’t think it would destroy the enjoyment of kids’ football or grassroots football.”

Disclaimer: This post has not been edited by our staff and is published from a syndicated feed. The Original Source of this post can be found at Source link

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest

Tax department must introspect on failure in technology implementation

The launch of the new income tax portal has brought home the...

Jaishankar discussed Afghanistan with Qatari leadership, Khalilzad

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar held talks on the situation in Afghanistan during two stopovers in Doha this week, the Ministry of External Affairs...

Vaccination team attacked in J&K’s Bandipora; female health worker injured [details]

J&K takes lead, initiates drive to vaccinate 18-45 age group ...

Traders, small businesses have lost ₹75,000 crore during second wave: FKCCI

Traders and small-scale establishments in Karnataka incurred losses to the tune of ₹75,000 crore during the second wave of the pandemic, estimated FKCCI. Over...

COVID-19: Maharashtra’s active case tally nudges 1.40 lakh

Just 5,890 recoveries were recorded across Maharashtra on Thursday against 9,830 new Covid-19 cases as the State’s active case tally rose to 1,39,960. More...
- Advertisement -

More Articles

- Advertisement -